Help! problem with key - Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Help! problem with key

I blew it! I cut the rubber on my only key to put it on a keychain and now I get a bad key error and it wont start. Any experience out there replacing keys? Your help will be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 09:19 AM
Super Moderators

you will need to take your spare key and get another

prolly cost couple hundred
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 02:23 PM

Keys on modern vehicles have chips in them and you probably drilled through and destroyed the chip. Don't know the proceedure but the dealer I think is your only option at this point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 09:43 PM

Bought two extra keys from BRP thru dealer, $35. Took keys to reputable locksmith (the one that unlocked the handcuffs my secretary accidently put on without a key, long story ), he cut them for $20. My dealer "paired" both to my machine for free. Damn Scion dealer took me for $50 for the one key and $100 to pair it to my toaster.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 04:49 AM

Someplace in here I posted a couple of pics showing a safe place where you can drill the keys... I'm pretty sure that you missed the spot!
There seems to be absolutely no concensus about what the dealers charge to cut and "smarten up" a key to work in a Spyder. It's worth checking with several dealers if you can. Good luck!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Out with the old; In with the WOO-HOO!!
2010 RT A&C Gone; but not forgotten!
2014 RT Limited
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 05:15 AM

Look in the thread from San Fransisco; I already had deleted those pics from my 'puter...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

2014 RT Limited
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 07:56 PM
Super Moderators

why do you need to drill any holes?

mine comes with a holder that you slip the key into where it clicks to hold it in place

I hang that whole thing on a normal key cahin
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 04:49 AM

Some folks (Myself included!), don't feel comfortable with the key being held by nothing but tension. The fob might wear itself loose and drop the key!
I tried an I.P.S. but wasn't happy with that situation either, so I reluctantly went back to the BRP system...

2014 RT Limited
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 07:37 PM

When I ride, and we stop, I put the key in my pocket. Otherwise, its stored safely where it won't fall out of the holder.

CONSUMER WARNING: Use of this Spyder may cause smiling, happiness, urge to ride, excessive wind in the face, desire to call in sick to work, or even extended vacations. Some riders have experienced double-takes, pointing, sudden camera flash, kids waving, and conversations with total strangers. Several instances of unplanned roadside visits with police officers have been reported, though are not common. If you experience any of these symptoms, contact your Spyder forum to discuss.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 04:59 AM

I guess that most of us grew up with keys attached to something that you could grab and feel secure with... The adaptation to the BRP system is a bit slow in coming on my part...

2014 RT Limited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in