6000 mile oil change - Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

6000 mile oil change

I have a hugh problem here. I took my 2010 Can-am Spyder RS-S in at 600 miles for initial maintenance $300.00

At 3600 miles I took it in, cost me $225.00

Now my dealer in Katy, Tx. Told me my next oil change at 6600 miles will cost me over $600. $400 of that is labor... I was told $600 every other oil change from now on at Wild West Honda in Katy, Tx

Help I live in Houston, pls let me know if there is someone out there cheaper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 10:47 AM

Wow!
I'd be asking some questions...
What is it that he's doing besides changing the oil and filter?
Why does it need whatever extras that he's piling on??
Can you remove some of the bodywork to cut back on the labor costs maybe?

I've got a quote for my next oil and filter change here: $85.00

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Out with the old; In with the WOO-HOO!!
2010 RT A&C Gone; but not forgotten!
2014 RT Limited
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrschievous View Post
I have a hugh problem here. I took my 2010 Can-am Spyder RS-S in at 600 miles for initial maintenance $300.00

Now my dealer in Katy, Tx. Told me my next oil change at 6600 miles will cost me over $600. $400 of that is labor... I was told $600 every other oil change from now on at Wild West Honda in Katy, Tx

WOW! that dealer is putting the screws to you, 1st check up they really go over the bike so $300.00 is about right. I get oil change for under 80.00 and they do a look see while they have the bike and let me know if any thing needs to be done down the road. So I would find a new dealer or start doing it myself
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 03:18 PM

(I have heard that the 12,000 mile service gets a bit pricey though...)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Out with the old; In with the WOO-HOO!!
2010 RT A&C Gone; but not forgotten!
2014 RT Limited
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
(I have heard that the 12,000 mile service gets a bit pricey though...)
If you're paying any more than $85.00 for any of the general oil changes, you're are getting screwed by the dealer. The 12K service will be more money because it involves a valve adjustment. I didn't even pay more than $100 for my 600 mile service.

Jeff M.
2013 ST-Limited, 2014 Blade Wheels, Calsi Tinted Shorty Windshield, BRP 2014 Passenger Backrest
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsm69 View Post
If you're paying any more than $85.00 for any of the general oil changes, you're are getting screwed by the dealer. The 12K service will be more money because it involves a valve adjustment. I didn't even pay more than $100 for my 600 mile service.
I have 17000 miles on my 2009 se5 rs I had the 12000 mile check up plus replaced all 3 tires for $467.83 and I didn't buy the bike from the dealer that I go to for the work to be done. You really need to find a new dealer.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 08:02 PM

WOW that is a high price for an oil change. I was qouted $150 for my 3000 mile change. I did it myself for about $65 in parts alone. At $10 a quart for only alone it does not take long to run up the price. IMO if you can get the oil change alone for $85 thats a great deal. These mileage check do have much more than just an oil change. I would get a good description of what is being done and match that with BRP requirements to make sure only what is required is being done and not a bunch of add-ons to run up the price.

Jeff

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED trunk lighting, BajRon's anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Ryders)
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrschievous View Post

Can't help you with name of a better dealer but I'll throw in my two cents to give you an idea of what I have paid. I just had the 6000 mile scheduled maintenance completed and it cost me $325. David
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 09:56 AM

You might want to Google for qualified service locations and call them for a quote. They should know and be able to tell you what its going to cost you for the different mile check-ups and oil changes.

CONSUMER WARNING: Use of this Spyder may cause smiling, happiness, urge to ride, excessive wind in the face, desire to call in sick to work, or even extended vacations. Some riders have experienced double-takes, pointing, sudden camera flash, kids waving, and conversations with total strangers. Several instances of unplanned roadside visits with police officers have been reported, though are not common. If you experience any of these symptoms, contact your Spyder forum to discuss.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 08:59 PM

bringing this back from the dead lol BECAUSE IT HAS TO

my dealer charged me 157.89 for my oil change only didnt buy bike from them but did spend 450$ with them a week prior on a new york lock and 5 foot chain and a fulmer helmet which i realized when i got home that of course on internet i found same lock and helmet on amazon for only 175.00 with tax and shipping , WOW i know online is killing small bussiness and its always cheaper but then i went to a honda shop andd found a snell rated helmet belive it was scorpion dot SNELL FOR 100 BUCKS LOL AND IT WAS MATT BLACK LIKE MY FULMER THAT WAS suppose to be on sale from 279.00 to 210.00 and lock was around 200 then tax and a can of cleaner wax stuff so honda shop which was 1 mile from my house instead of 14 miles had same color helmet but better for half price plus lock was half the price there when i told manager he said my boss makes his own prices for everything and i cant do nothing about it i said so he charges extra and he says there is no MSRP ON stuff like helmets and locks YES THERE IS LOL !!!!! i was gonna trade my 2011 rs s for a 2012 rs s with no miles brand new for my 2011 rs s with 1400 miles hindle exhaust an leds all running down bottom and 5200 out the door but after reading pepole were paying 85 for a oil chnge and he told me parts alone costed that it was 12 a quart said i needed 4 to 6 something like that is the rs s more loot ?? whats going on here i know i got ripped with helmet and new york lock but this is my only can am dealer anywhere i can ride bike to in short time like less then couple hours only a 15 min ride now but there prices dont seem right there tryingg to sell me exteneded warranty that i can only get while my factory warranty is active which is till july 4th this year so i have less then 2 months to make my mind up 3 years of zurich warranty dont know if there a rip off comany like the REST!!!!! but how much is everyone paying for a oil change on rs s and is there a differnce between models in price ask youre dealer price if you dont know that wat we can show our dealers there ripping us cause ill bring my macbook air right in the store and show them not gonna mention where it is because dont need them doing any more damage and if you have answers to any of my other questions i appreciate it thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in