key - Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

key

broke my only key i had. I've talked to 2 dealers and get 2 different stories. One says you can buy new keys and then have the keys programmed to the bike. Other says new ignition. Does anyone know which is correct.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 03:09 AM

key

Hello. I lost one of my keys. My dealer told me that I could not simply have my existing key copied. I would have to purchase 2 keys & have them both keyed to my existing ignition. Good luck, ed mcmillan
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 05:00 AM

[QUOTE=bikerdude10;4902]broke my only key i had.QUOTE]
How'd you get out of the showroom with only one key?? They should owe you one free one for sure!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Out with the old; In with the WOO-HOO!!
2010 RT A&C Gone; but not forgotten!
2014 RT Limited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 10:10 PM

I ordered a new key and they had it cut by a locksmith and then it needed to be re programmed. I watched the mechanic do it, took about a half hour to work
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

how much did it cost
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 12:13 PM

(Very interested in the cost... but I'm betting that it'll be... )

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Out with the old; In with the WOO-HOO!!
2010 RT A&C Gone; but not forgotten!
2014 RT Limited
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 04:45 PM

I called my dealer today, and one key is $37.99. then... I have to take it to a locksmith, have it cut; then take it back to the dealer. the dealer isn't sure how much time it takes to program a key or what to charge.

I work for a Ford dealer, and it costs aprox. .5 hr flat rate labor to program two keys; when starting from scratch. if you have two working keys, you can add up to 4 more, for a total of 6; without any programing costs. if you only have one key, you're looking at another key and the programing of the two keys.

While Ford's Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) is indicative of Ford, the idea is the same. Can Am just needs to set a standard for dealers to work from. currently... the costs are arbitrary. everyone sets their own prices. and no one knows EXACTLY what has to be done to replace a lost key or add spare keys, or how many you CAN add.

aside from my info... if anyone else has better info... feel free to correct me or add to it. I'm all ears for something consistent.

it's not what you ride. it's that you ride...

Black, 2010 RT-SM5

George
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 07:32 AM

I'm thinking you should have got two keys out the door if you bought it at a dealer. My dealer told me to put the spare in a safe place as it will make making a copy much easier should it ever be needed.

Could always contact BRP to find out how many keys are supposed to come with a new purchase.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 05:50 PM

two keys come with EVERY new Spyder. if it was pre-owned (USED), it may only have one. but if it is new, ask your dealer to furnish you with another.

I was able to find out directly from BRP that, only a total of four keys can be
programed for a single Spyder. the warranty labor time for programing a key is approx. .5; but customer pay labor time was not available. "normally" it is 1.5 times the warranty rate.

so "ballpark" cost should be approx. $87.00 for one extra key, and $125.00 for two extras (having a total of four programmed keys), plus tax. and it may even be something that's negotiable, since there seems to be so much uncertainty about the costs.

ask...

it's not what you ride. it's that you ride...

Black, 2010 RT-SM5

George
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

It was bought new from a dealer and they said they only had the one key. That was 2 years ago and they have gone out of business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode