Poll: How Do You Feel About Loud Pipes? - Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Sponsored Editorial Content

Poll: How Do You Feel About Loud Pipes?

Quote:
'Loud pipes save lives' and 'the louder it is the faster it is' are all phrases you’ve probably heard before, but for a lot of people – particularly the non-riding public – loud exhausts prove to be obnoxious. Which camp do you find yourself in?
Read more about the Poll: How Do You Feel About Loud Pipes? at Motorcycle.com.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 08:49 PM

I don't like them. I had a Harley Road Glide with stock pipes and they were too loud. It gave me a headache after an hour on the road. I don't believe the old wives tale that loud pipes save lives. People have their windows rolled up with the a/c going and the stereo is blasting or they are busy taking or texting on the cell phone. I also feel that it is bad for our image.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 08:04 AM

Loud Pipes

Motorcycles and loud/open pipes have been part of the ethos of motorcycling since the beginning. Back in the early 1900's many motorcycles came with exhaust pipes with movable end caps. The caps would cover the exhaust pipe end with a perforated cap for riding in the city, but by moving the cap away from the pipe end it was marked as country. Let's face it in the early days of cars and motorcycles the world was moving forward and if noise was the price to pay for progress, so be it.

Today, with the crowded cities and the " Hey, look at me crowd" the exhaust has taken on a new meaning. The exhaust suppliers adverts talk about the "Growl" and of course the deeply throated rubble. I noticed that a simple slip-on can costs $400.00 to well over $1000.00 to achieve the "presence" that many of today's riders need. What a great many of the new owners don't know is that the new Mega Exhaust system may yield less power due to the computer control of the today's engines.

Loud exhausts for the bar hopping crowd, where the rugged individuals that all dress alike gather is part of the "Hey, look at me" group. This group rarely travels more than a very few miles, unlike the coast to coast traveler that needs the ride to be peaceful. A prime example of the long distance traveler is the BMW, GoldWing owners, quiet, dignified and able to cover 5 to 600 miles a day without the fanfare.

Loud exhausts and motorcycles seem to go together like peanut butter and jam, it has not changed in over 100 years and it will not until the motorcycle riders are banned from riding due to the disruption caused by the exhaust.

A prime example of the change in the world of high performance, look at the race cars of today, mufflers on each one.

I know that image sells and the performance suppliers will run that horse into the ground.

I like quiet, efficient machines.

Good Luck

Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 10:33 AM
Super Moderators

Loud pipes save lives is a myth and just another way for some people to annoy the public.

since the noise goes to the rear everything is behind the rider and not where it does any good until they are right beside you, besides here in BC one does not have to be able to hear to drive a car.
Jerry Masters likes this.

2011 RT Ltd, ISCI floorboards/cruiser boards and LED nut with custom Halo kit and custom Fusion power plant, 50 SPF sunblock and cheap sunglass, total Grfx on bike and matching trailer
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 10:01 PM

Sound is directional. Unfortunately, some folks think it makes them look tougher to get up next to your cage at a red light and rev it up a little. I call it little man syndrome, where the loud pipes make up for small manly parts. All the loud pipes do is annoy folks. If loud pipes really saved lives, just think of how many GW or BMW bikers are dying all over the highways by having quiet bikes. Good lighting, paying attention, and dress to be seen will get you a lot farther that loud pipes. I've owned a couple of Harleys over the years, kept the stock exhaust on them. I enjoy being able to hear myself think while I am out enjoying life.

Gene
Jerry Masters likes this.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

Maybe the real question should be:

How do you feel about forum owners who try to stir up controversy just to increase their "CLICK COUNT" ??

I find it reprehensible.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 11:00 AM

What's a click count? If it's chrome I want one.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerfans View Post
What's a click count? If it's chrome I want one.

Free sites like this aren't really free.
Advertisers pay the owners based on how many people visit the site every day.
And sometimes based on what they click on while here.

Doing anything that increases the traffic to the site increases their revenue.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 07:53 AM
Administrator

Hey there,

As you mentioned, our editorial team posts these articles to drum up a conversation.
We are not looking to start any controversy.

We post these articles with the same intention that members post on the site.
Strictly to build a conversation and get the community involved.

If you truly have an issue with these posts, what kind of articles would you like us to post in the future?

Richard.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by administrator View Post
If you truly have an issue with these posts, what kind of articles would you like us to post in the future?
Anything that does not glorify actions that are obnoxious and illegal or dangerous.

What will be next......an opinion poll about illegal street racing......or stunting while going 100 MPH down the highway ??

How could you NOT think there is a high probability of a subject like that causing a heated discussion and controversy ???

Hint: There IS a VERY high probability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode