F3 vibration - Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2020, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

F3 vibration

I have a 2015 F3 with about 32,000 miles on it. I bought it used from the wife of the former owner who passed away. I've had it for about 3 months and it had a bad vibration in the handlebars and floor boards from about 60mph and on up. I took it to the dealer and they rebalanced the front wheels. This helped slightly but didn't solve the problem so I took it back, next they rebalanced the rear wheel, that also helped slightly but didn't solve the problem. I took it back and suggested there may be something wrong with the front tires. They had the bike for almost 3 weeks and finally got permission from CanAm to take a set of front wheels off a new Spyder on their showroom floor. They said that made a tremendous difference so the tires must have been out of round, though they looked brand new. I replaced the front tires with the Kendas, again this helped but the vibration was still noticeable so I ordered the belt tensioner from LaMonster and had the dealer install it. Once agian the vibration was reduced but not eliminated, I thought for sure that would solve the problem so was disappointed. I have no idea what else to try but would appreciate any suggestions that any one has. Unless I have some new info I don't see any reason to take it back to the dealer, they don't seem to have any ideas. Any one have any ideas??!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2020, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

There are different kinds of vibrations......caused by different things.

But it seems to me that they nailed the problem when they did the wheel swap.
One of your wheels might be bent or out of round.
Did YOU ride it with the other wheels on it ??

'17 RT Limited
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2020, 06:00 PM

I would try handlebar weights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2020, 06:46 PM

Wheel(s) or Tire(s)

I basically agree that there is something wrong with a wheel or at least one tire. The Kenda tires, if that is what you have on the Spyder, are crap. The best thing is to go to automobile tires. There are a number of cage tires that are worlds better than the Crapendas. Wheel-wise, have the dealership remove tires from both front wheels and check them for a damaged spot or a defect that makes them severely out of balance. Here are some alternate tire possibilities.

Front Tires
Stock size = 165/55R15
Federal 595 Evo = 165/55R15
Federal Formoza = 165/55R15
Verdestein Quatrac 165/60R15

Rear Tires
Stock Size = 225/50R15
General Altimax RT 43 = 215/60R15
Michelin Defender = 205/65R15
Verdestein Quatrac Q5 = 205/60R15
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2020, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbauto3 View Post
I would try handlebar weights
Which will have NO effect on the vibration in the foot pegs/floor boards.

'17 RT Limited
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2020, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pafetzer1 View Post
I have a 2015 F3 with about 32,000 miles on it. I bought it used from the wife of the former owner who passed away. I've had it for about 3 months and it had a bad vibration in the handlebars and floor boards from about 60mph and on up. I took it to the dealer and they rebalanced the front wheels. This helped slightly but didn't solve the problem so I took it back, next they rebalanced the rear wheel, that also helped slightly but didn't solve the problem. I took it back and suggested there may be something wrong with the front tires. They had the bike for almost 3 weeks and finally got permission from CanAm to take a set of front wheels off a new Spyder on their showroom floor. They said that made a tremendous difference so the tires must have been out of round, though they looked brand new. I replaced the front tires with the Kendas, again this helped but the vibration was still noticeable so I ordered the belt tensioner from LaMonster and had the dealer install it. Once agian the vibration was reduced but not eliminated, I thought for sure that would solve the problem so was disappointed. I have no idea what else to try but would appreciate any suggestions that any one has. Unless I have some new info I don't see any reason to take it back to the dealer, they don't seem to have any ideas. Any one have any ideas??!!
Its taken me two years to get my RTL to a satisfactory state on a major scale.
1. Got rid of the OEM tyres, it surprised me just how much vibration they caused.
2. Fitted a belt Tensioner/Dampener, this made a huge difference in the 110 to 130k/hr range, two up and towing.

To a lesser extent
3 Fitted magic mirrors and these took away a lot of the distortion in the mirrors at highway speeds
4 replaced the Suspension with Aftermarket units, now it is less annoying on corrugated roads.

With regards to item 2, consider one that fits to the "return side" of the belt as opposed to the majority that fit to the load side of the belt. Mine fits to the load side, and does well until I hit a bump and you feel the belt bouncing for a while until it gets settled again.

Last edited by mbkitmgr; 12-03-2020 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Typo
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-11-2020, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
There are different kinds of vibrations......caused by different things.

But it seems to me that they nailed the problem when they did the wheel swap.
One of your wheels might be bent or out of round.
Did YOU ride it with the other wheels on it ??
No, I did not ride it with the other wheels on it. I doubt they would have allowed me to, for insurance reasons. Their mechanic rode it and said it made a big difference so they put the new tires on. I still have the original wheels and I'm not going to buy new wheels unless I know that will solve the problem. I've already put more money into this Spyder than I wanted to.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-11-2020, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybros View Post
I basically agree that there is something wrong with a wheel or at least one tire. The Kenda tires, if that is what you have on the Spyder, are crap. The best thing is to go to automobile tires. There are a number of cage tires that are worlds better than the Crapendas. Wheel-wise, have the dealership remove tires from both front wheels and check them for a damaged spot or a defect that makes them severely out of balance. Here are some alternate tire possibilities.

Front Tires
Stock size = 165/55R15
Federal 595 Evo = 165/55R15
Federal Formoza = 165/55R15
Verdestein Quatrac 165/60R15

Rear Tires
Stock Size = 225/50R15
General Altimax RT 43 = 215/60R15
Michelin Defender = 205/65R15
Verdestein Quatrac Q5 = 205/60R15
I did replace the tires, unfortunately they are the same Kendas that were originally on the Spyder/ I wanted to have the new Kendas but the dealer didn't have them.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-11-2020, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
Which will have NO effect on the vibration in the foot pegs/floor boards.
I agree with Easy Rider, I don't think handlebar weights would help because the vibration is also felt through the floorboards.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2020, 09:41 AM

My F3 had same issue. Front tires and wheels balanced 2 times perfect. Dealer then took tires off and balanced rims. Found one rim
was warped from overheating during Paint process. Can Am replaced both rims and tires for no charge, but F3 was under warranty.
I say you have a warped rim as new ones solved problme.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode