2017 F3-T front shock adjustment? - Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2020, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Garage
2017 F3-T front shock adjustment?

hi again all,

i wanted to get better rough road hugging by my front suspension, especially when cornering. it appears the front shocks are not much adjustable. this seems to be confirmed when i was told to go see a dealer for this. i'm not to the point where i want to pay a dealer just yet, nor am i ready to replace the stock stocks with something else. so instead, i noticed the front shocks had about 4 threads left under the springs, that i might use to reduce the pre-load. i ordered 2 68mm spanner wrenches and went to work. a tight working area made it more difficult. but in the ended, i was able to thread down both shock springs as far as they would go. it definitely helped for my purposes. unfortunately, if i want to get into compression or rebound dampening, i will need specialized work to be done or more sophisticated (expensive !) shocks.

just saying for those of you curious about this on the F3's and other models with limited front suspension adjustment.

question: has anyone tried using RT shocks on F3's?

FYI: my stock kenda tires are set exactly to suggested PSI as is the rear tire.... has anyone found a different PSI to work better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2020, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by funflyingguy View Post
FYI: my stock kenda tires are set exactly to suggested PSI as is the rear tire.... has anyone found a different PSI to work better?
Maybe. You should not deviate from the recommendation a LOT but I found that 4 extra PSI in the fronts helped stop the wandering feeling that I had. Until I replaced the crap Kenda's and got rid of the problem completely, using the recommendations.

I also think that the wandering might have been partly caused by the rear "ballooning" out in the center at speed and effectively losing about half of it's contact patch. The odd center wear pattern certainly is NOT good......and can not be changed much if any with different pressures.

'17 RT Limited
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2020, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
i read similar about the kenda's too, from different sources. i already have some ideas for replacement brands when that time comes....

i'll try the extra 4 psi in the front and see how that does. thanks.....

the slightly unstable cornering on bumpy roads seems to come from the front end. the back tire grips well in those situations, i believe because of the lowered shock air pressure and recommended tire pressure. i could let some out of the back tire if it was a problem, but that compromises the ride (and possibly the wear) in other situations.

on my current and past motorcycles, once you have the back and front rates matching, you can fine-tune the front some to better hug the road in bumpy corners. slightly adjusting the damping forces i've found help here.... (not adjustable on my spyder's stock front suspension that i know of). that left me with the spring controlled pre-load.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2020, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
the slightly unstable cornering on bumpy roads seems to come from the front end. the back tire grips well in those situations,

but that compromises the ride (and possibly the wear) in other situations.

on my current and past motorcycles,
I see you are new to the Spyder world.

A Spyder is NOT a motorcycle.
The dynamics of riding on 3 wheels is entirely different.
The slightest little tracking "error" with the rear makes you think the front end is sliding out from under you.
Tracking and grip and not the same thing.

Others with a LOT of miles on their tires have found that there is nothing you can do with pressure to keep the rear from wearing out in the center WAY before the outside edges do.
Well, that's not entirely true. If you never get it above 40 MPH, the back tire probably would wear OK.

'17 RT Limited
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2020, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
tire construction of course varies, but suspension dynamics are the same, hence the same kind of adjustments. the kenda brand itself is not the best......

i've been riding for over 50 years now, many kind of bikes. i can tell the difference between a rear induced sway or slide and a front. not talking about tracking.

actually, many states including mine consider it a motorcycle. but to me, its different enough to ask you guys these questions..

thanks...

Last edited by funflyingguy; 08-18-2020 at 03:00 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2020, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
i've been riding for over 50 years now, many kind of bikes. i can tell the difference between a rear induced sway or slide and a front. not talking about tracking.
Yes me too.

But have any of those previous rides been a "reverse trike" like the Spyder is ??

I'm not throwing an insult here and NOT trying to start an argument but..........

Functionally, a trike is NOT a "motorcycle". It just isn't. The legal definition has nothing to do with the physics and riding dynamics involved. It just doesn't.

If you think that all (or any really) of the dynamic riding skills that you learned on 2 wheels will translate directly over to a Spyder, you will be creating a big mess for yourself. There are more differences than similarities.

For instance, a really good motorcycle tire will not "track" the grooves in the pavement because there are no deep tread grooves exactly in the center to do that. This is NOT true with most tires on a Spyder because the car tires used DO have those grooves in the middle and can track the pavement grooves.......and when it does that, the feeling is entirely different that on 2 wheels.

It took me about a year to get fully comfortable with the 3 wheel dynamic, and there are still some short times when things just "don't feel right".

'17 RT Limited

Last edited by Easy Rider; 08-19-2020 at 07:31 AM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2020, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
so, i'm not really getting any help through this conversation. just going to let this go that the front end is simply not really adjustable on my spyder F3-T.

thanks anyways....
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2020, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
so, i'm not really getting any help through this conversation..
But maybe someone else will.

I was mostly just killing time and keeping the thread at the top of the "new" list in hopes that someone else could provide you with some information that you would consider helpful.

'17 RT Limited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode