Potential rider from Iowa - Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Potential rider from Iowa

Hello from Keokuk Iowa, New to this forum, not new to forums.

I'm a 51 yr old dude who has rode bikes off and on since childhood. I currently do not own a spider.

Here is the deal. I have always loved to ride.

I have a 14 yr old daughter who is Autistic and MR (mildly retarded). She loves to ride, in fact, it is her preferred activity. We can literally drive around in the car all day, every day. Extra love (ear to ear smiles) when we are in my Can Am Commander 1000xt with real torque and G forces pulling on us. The problem with that of course is we have to stick to the trails at home, or trailer it to a ride.

I have ridden bikes since I was little. I know she would love this, and it would be a spectacular way for us to spend time together in the warmer months. The problem is I am not sure she would hang on tight all the time. Lean the way a typical passenger instinctively would. I would love to find something with for example passenger armrests that would kind of cage her in behind me. Or see if anyone else has overcome this type of scenario. Sidecars don't really appeal to me.

Are you familiar with any Spyders that are equipped with accommodations for persons with special needs?

Cost would be an issue with me, from the point of trying to justify the expense. I have a 16 yr old son (who BTW know's it all) and a wife. Both of which consume money like air. I also have all the other common middle-class expenses. I have good credit because I have no debt. I want to keep it that way (No debt). So a used bike (preferably high mileage) would be the only thing I would consider. Got to keep cost down and pay cash.

Do you think a Spyder would be a good fit in my situation?
Any tips for (figuratively) stealing one??

I'm really researching my options right now. Consider yourselves part of my research

Thanks in advance
Chloe's daddy
Bryan

Last edited by Bryan Sage; 02-15-2017 at 03:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Sage View Post
Hello from Keokuk Iowa, New to this forum, not new to forums.

I'm a 51 yr old dude who has rode bikes off and on since childhood. I currently do not own a spider.

Here is the deal. I have always loved to ride.

I have a 14 yr old daughter who is Autistic and MR (mildly retarded). She loves to ride, in fact, it is her preferred activity. We can literally drive around in the car all day, every day. Extra love (ear to ear smiles) when we are in my Can Am Commander 1000xt with real torque and G forces pulling on us. The problem with that of course is we have to stick to the trails at home, or trailer it to a ride.

I have ridden bikes since I was little. I know she would love this, and it would be a spectacular way for us to spend time together in the warmer months. The problem is I am not sure she would hang on tight all the time. Lean the way a typical passenger instinctively would. I would love to find something with for example passenger armrests that would kind of cage her in behind me. Or see if anyone else has overcome this type of scenario. Sidecars don't really appeal to me.

Are you familiar with any Spyders that are equipped with accommodations for persons with special needs?

Cost would be an issue with me, from the point of trying to justify the expense. I have a 16 yr old son (who BTW know's it all) and a wife. Both of which consume money like air. I also have all the other common middle-class expenses. I have good credit because I have no debt. I want to keep it that way (No debt). So a used bike (preferably high mileage) would be the only thing I would consider. Got to keep cost down and pay cash.

Do you think a Spyder would be a good fit in my situation?
Any tips for (figuratively) stealing one??

I'm really researching my options right now. Consider yourselves part of my research

Thanks in advance
Chloe's daddy
Bryan
I applaud your desire to include your daughter. The Spyders offer a great platform for riders with disabilites. I have met with riders that have war injuries ranging from mild to severe.
The aftermarket is rife with Spyder addons, google around and you will find many items.

Good Luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 07:19 PM

Hi from the Iowa Great Lakes. There are armrests available for the Spyder. Just shop around. As to finding a used Spyder, shop around as occasionally a bargain pops up. I picked up a 2009 RS SE5 last fall, from Big Sioux Power Sports, in Sioux Falls, SD. Got a really great price, several thousand below book, as they did not want to keep it over winter. It needed a good cleaning and some speaker removal done, as the PO did a sloppy job of installing a stereo. Removed the system and had area dealer remove excess wiring, for stereo, when doing the pre storage service. So keep checking dealer sites and Craigslist (If you trust Craigslist). Good to hear you want to include your daughter in this experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode