» Today's Birthdays
None
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2010, 05:02 PM

Default Spyder vs other trikes

My wife and I are thinking of a trike and we looked at an RT this past weekend. Going to ride it this weekend. We liked it alot but would like to know thoughts on how the spyder handles compared to a standard Goldwing or Suzuki trike. It seem like a std trike would push in the corners more. Thoughts please!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2010, 07:32 PM

From personal experience the stability of the 2 wheels in front instead of the back is the reason I decided on the Spyder. I was able to put the traditional trike on 2 wheels and I don't mean the back 2. It would take a lot more to do the same with the Spyder. The storage room of the Spyder is much larger than that of any trike. For those looking for a touring cruiser that's a big plus. I'm sure there will be more posted but they were my reasons for the choice I made.

Spyder RT-S PE #0311

Respect is common ground we all can share
Old 03-10-2010, 12:51 PM

The difference is kinda like the difference in handling of a Model T and a new Corvette. I would suggest that you test ride both, I know which you will choose.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelangelo View Post
The difference is kinda like the difference in handling of a Model T and a new Corvette. I would suggest that you test ride both, I know which you will choose.
I agree 100%, if you drive both, you'll know which is the way to go.

Can-Am put the stability control and ABS on the Spyder for safety, and the electric variable power steering to make it user friendly.

Having had a Goldwing trike, I can say one thing for sure.... having two wheels in the back can lead to some really scary vehicle dynamics.

My trike had added rake to make it steer easier, unfortunately, it also led to the throttle cable pulling in more gas when you had the steering all the way to the right...... it caused me to have an accident.....

The best part is a Spyder is 5-10K LESS then a triked out Goldwing.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:07 PM

Charliebrown here: We have a 2008 Spyder and a 2009 Goldwing trike...I ride the Spyder, wifee drives the wing..The spyder has more stability and feels alot better than the wing. The wing is good but cornering can get abit scarey..Altrhough the wing is quite classy but more expensive . Your wallet will also tell you where to go. $33000.00 vs $16000. I ride the back seat with the wing You will find that the Spyder has a different steering and riding . Its all on the plus side..Love the reverse gear. It gets you there but have to be careful on the throttle.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karsonkid View Post
My wife and I are thinking of a trike and we looked at an RT this past weekend. Going to ride it this weekend. We liked it alot but would like to know thoughts on how the spyder handles compared to a standard Goldwing or Suzuki trike. It seem like a std trike would push in the corners more. Thoughts please!
Part of it is physics...with a "standard" trike, you are dragging two "dead" wheels through a turn whereas the Spyder steers into the turn. You can get standard trikes with rear wheel steering but you'll pay for it.

I have encountered several "surprise turns" that were tighter than I thought they'd be. The stability control system on the Spyder saved my butt...I'm sure I would have flipped a standard trike

Spyder Nation POW*MIA SE5

Cal-Sci 23.5” windshield, HID Fog lights, HID Headlights, Micron muffler, Triple Play II Taillight Kit, 5" Pullback bars, Footpeg kit, Center Console, Cup Holder, Mirror Extensions, Phantom Black Kit, 6 Spoke Wheels, Side Panel Trim, Corbin Saddle Bags and Saddle Seat, Cruise Control, Jensen JHD910 stereo, Zumo 660 GPS
Old 03-15-2010, 09:32 PM

Had a 09 Harley trike w/Pingle push button shifter for about 6 weeks between the 09 Spyder and the RT Spyder. Both Spyders are much more stable. On a fairly rough road the Harley wobbles all over the place. Spyder is solid and holds the road. The SE5 is much better at shifting than the Pingle. Would ride nothing else!
Old 08-11-2010, 07:08 AM

Every Harley Tripod owner I've spoken to has either suffered a scary amount of head shake, or "bicycled" it. I've seen none of those traits while riding my RT...
Old 09-27-2010, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karsonkid View Post
Thanks for asking the question, I had exactly the same one. I live in Munich Germany and just did a test ride (2nd time) on a Spyder. As a long time motorcycle rider, I am interested mainly because it could help me get my wife riding with me or even driving it herself. The place that sells Spyders also sells trikes that are made from the ground up in Germany, using VW, Ford, or Peugeot engines. They have a few converted bikes including a Triumph Rocket Trike, but otherwise all made here, with up to 3 seats- take a look if interested: BOOM TRIKES. Some pretty wild stuff!

Anyway Thanks for all the input to help me make a decision. I also thought 2 wheels in front must be safer, with ABS etc etc etc... seems to be the consensus out there.

And yes... it is Oktoberfest time here in München :-)
Old 09-28-2010, 07:37 PM

Default BMW can be launched the R1150RT motorbikes

R1150RT BMW is an extremely slow swim temperament of a BMW. Whether the corner on the mountain, or long-distance riding acceleration during the enjoyment of cruise, air jordan shoesBMW R1150RT carrying on the Boxer level, advanced double cylinder engine valve design can easily four strong output torque characteristics, so that your car random walk, Jordan shoescovered. Design considerations, ergonomic with adjustable windscreen and personalized twosome cushion. Once the road to summon, BMW R1150RT its charm, ready to start.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement