Air Bag Suspension - Losing Pressure - Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Air Bag Suspension - Losing Pressure

I have a 2015 Spyder RT Limited. Recently I put an air gauge on the suspension system by attaching it to the schraeder valve under the seat (screwed on type gauge). I monitored the pressures over a week period and here are the PSI's I got > Sunday 50, Monday 49, Tuesday 47, Wednesday 46, Thursday 44, Friday 43, Saturday 41, Sunday 40. So as you can see, the system lost 10 psi over a week period, in a heated garage for the whole period, never sat on, and gauge never disturbed/removed from Schraeder valve). Have any of you ever monitored and noticed the drop in pressure when your Spyder is parked? Is this normal?

SpydermanStever
2015 CanAm Spyder RT Limited

Intense Red Pearl
Garmin Montana 650 GPS
BRP Backrest
WOLO Air Horn
Dimple Products Drain Plugs
Lamonster Garage Lidlox Combo Handlebar Helmet Locks, Spyder Cuff Cup & Phone Holder, Spyderpops Bumpskid
Big Bike Parts Fairing Bra
Custom Dynamics LED High Mount Brake Light, Red Brightsides LED Rear Front Fender Lights, Magic Strobes RT Brake Light Module, Red Magic Spots at rear center
Toyo Proxes 4 Rear Tire
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 09:12 PM

The automatic air suspension is based on the ride level of your Spyder. I have found that pretty much every time that I ride my Spyder, it will pump up the air suspension. The suspension will add/release air as necessary to maintain the ride height. For example, if my wife dismounts, as soon as I move again, it will release air, or if she gets on, it will pump in some air.

Also the overall volume of the air system is pretty small, much smaller than a tire. The simple act of checking the air pressure will affect the remaining air pressure. Try checking the pressure 10 time in a row, you will probably see a difference.

In short, I wouldn't worry if I was you.

Dave
'11 RT Ltd.
crazy enough to do a Saddle Sore 1000
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 01:26 AM Thread Starter

Dave thank you for your reply. I understand that if you keep taking readings with a gauge you lose air every time and that will affect the reading but in my case I attached a gauge that screwed onto the schraeder valve and left it on there for a week constantly monitoring the pressure and observed it daily to take readings so there was no pressure loss from taking readings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spydermanstever View Post
so there was no pressure loss from taking readings.
You are assuming that your gauge makes a perfect seal.....which it may not.

Anyway, as long as it pumps back up the next time you fire it up, I wouldn't worry about it.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 05:11 AM

Soap the fittings and look for bubbles....not to worry

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 10:17 AM

Air Pressure drop

Quote:
Originally Posted by spydermanstever View Post
I have a 2015 Spyder RT Limited. Recently I put an air gauge on the suspension system by attaching it to the schraeder valve under the seat (screwed on type gauge). I monitored the pressures over a week period and here are the PSI's I got > Sunday 50, Monday 49, Tuesday 47, Wednesday 46, Thursday 44, Friday 43, Saturday 41, Sunday 40. So as you can see, the system lost 10 psi over a week period, in a heated garage for the whole period, never sat on, and gauge never disturbed/removed from Schraeder valve). Have any of you ever monitored and noticed the drop in pressure when your Spyder is parked? Is this normal?
One of the problems with the compact air compressors, like the RT uses, is the lack of a positive air pressure check valve.
The air pressure is checked on the existing pump with a small amount of spring pressure to hold the valve against the seat. In my opinion, the only sure way to control the leak down is to install a good pressure check valve. Many companies make check valves, but if you shop around and are willing to go digging you can find this type of valve in the auto junk yards. Many high-end cars use air suspension systems, so finding a valve is a piece of cake.

You might do yourself a good turn by contacting an air compressor shop.

Good Luck

Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode