CB on 2014 RT limited. - Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

CB on 2014 RT limited.

Very short range both transmitting and receiving. Is there a better antenna than the one on the spyder that i bought new from the dealer

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 01:56 PM

Please define "extremely short range".

Typically a CB on a motorcycle only has a range of 1-1/2 miles; two from hilltop to hilltop.
That is going to another bike with a radio.

And then there are questions about the setting of your squelch and the HI/LO power switch......if present.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
Please define "extremely short range".

Typically a CB on a motorcycle only has a range of 1-1/2 miles; two from hilltop to hilltop.
That is going to another bike with a radio.

And then there are questions about the setting of your squelch and the HI/LO power switch......if present.
Less then 200 yards.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Squelch set to lowest setting next to off. Tried off but to much noise. Never had thus problem with my GW which I rode for 10 plus years and ri

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddorrell11 View Post
Less then 200 yards.
Well that indicates that your antenna is not connected properly.....or is defective.
You need an SWR/Power meter to test and/or a 3rd party radio to help test.

If the noise is too loud with the squelch fully open, then turn down the volume.

How long is the antenna you have now ? Longer ones are better......but often not enough to notice.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Well that indicates that your antenna is not connected properly.....or is defective.
You need an SWR/Power meter to test and/or a 3rd party radio to help test.

If the noise is too loud with the squelch fully open, then turn down the volume.

How long is the antenna you have now ? Longer ones are better......but often not enough to notice.
Dealer installed CB when purchased 2014 RT spyder new. Where do I get help in finding a swr/power meter and what does it tell me if bad reading and what to do to correct and and how?

Not sure that I know where setting should be and adjusted up or down on 4 choices on CB menu when it is shown on scrčen on dash.

Super thanks in advance for any help.

Dill Dorrell
Rising Sun In

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Dealer installed CB when purchased 2014 RT spyder new. Where do I get help in finding a swr/power meter and what does it tell me if bad reading and what to do to correct and and how?
Did it ever work good ?
You REALLY need to be sure that the "partner" you are testing with doesn't have a problem at HIS end.

First place to go is back to the dealer.
But likely that they don't know anything about it either.

Then call around your area looking for a bike shop (Honda Gold Wing) that knows about CBs.
Also look for a CB shop that caters to truckers.

As a last resort, you might try contacting J&M; I think they make the CB equipment for the Spyders.

Where are you located ??
Did you not get a little manual explaining the operation of the CB ??

Last edited by Easy Rider; 04-19-2017 at 05:53 AM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Did it ever work good ?
You REALLY need to be sure that the "partner" you are testing with doesn't have a problem at HIS end.

First place to go is back to the dealer.
But likely that they don't know anything about it either.

Then call around your area looking for a bike shop (Honda Gold Wing) that knows about CBs.
Also look for a CB shop that caters to truckers.

As a last resort, you might try contacting J&M; I think they make the CB equipment for the Spyders.

Where are you located ??
Did you not get a little manual explaining the operation of the CB ??
Thanks,

It never worked as good as the CB on my wing. Most bike riders that I communicate via cb all state same, lots of background noice and breaking up. My reception is much poor on the spyder than the wing. Have changed mikes, wind socks also. Very little difference. I am beging to believe that their cb is not same quality as wing. CB factory for spyder aftermarket is in Louisville, Ky. Cannot rember name but not one the known brands.

Live in SE Indiana, small town name is Rising Sun. Nearest dealer is 60 miles and not sure their tech knows much about the cb.

Dill Dorrell

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
My reception is much poor on the spyder than the wing.
It's J&M. Good quality stuff.

Our club has both wings and Spyders. At least two of the spyders have "factory" CBs and next week mine will be #3.
In our experience, the Spyders have been as good or better than the wings and the few handlebar mount J&Ms that are present.

Last time I had a static problem, it was because my antenna was loose in the mount.
The time before that, there was a bad connection in one of the headset cords (contact cleaner for that).

You need to trace out the coax that goes from the radio head to the antenna and check/reseat any of the screw type connectors in the line. Also check the connection at the base of the antenna.

CALL your dealer and see what they have to say. Maybe they know of a shop.....or maybe the DO know enough to trouble shoot the problem.

Are there any truck stops in your area ??
They can often point you to a CB shop in the area.
HAM radio operators can be helpful too as a last resort.

I'm too far away to be helpful.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
It's J&M. Good quality stuff.

Our club has both wings and Spyders. At least two of the spyders have "factory" CBs and next week mine will be #3.
In our experience, the Spyders have been as good or better than the wings and the few handlebar mount J&Ms that are present.

Last time I had a static problem, it was because my antenna was loose in the mount.
The time before that, there was a bad connection in one of the headset cords (contact cleaner for that).

You need to trace out the coax that goes from the radio head to the antenna and check/reseat any of the screw type connectors in the line. Also check the connection at the base of the antenna.

CALL your dealer and see what they have to say. Maybe they know of a shop.....or maybe the DO know enough to trouble shoot the problem.

Are there any truck stops in your area ??
They can often point you to a CB shop in the area.
HAM radio operators can be helpful too as a last resort.

I'm too far away to be helpful.
Super thanks advise. Tried another short cord that goes from helmet to bike. Other riders said it worked better. Will continue to look for answer

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode