Spyder Rts Steering Problem - Warning! - Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community

» Sponsors
» Today's Birthdays
None
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2010, 07:36 PM

Default Spyder Rts Steering Problem - Warning!

Just to keep other riders informed here's a post I put on the other Spyder forum. To bring you up to date the bike is still at the dealer they have tried everything from shock adjustments front end alignment with no success. I think short of replacing the DPS system their wasting their time. I'm reading some pretty scarey stuff on the internet regarding this nighmare of steering problems that dates all the way back to the first Spyder they released. MY other Spyder that is almost 2 years old still has steering problems but nothing like this RTS.

Ok Iím pretty upset with BRP tonight Ė hereís the story . . .
Iíve been a Spyder owner since they came out Ė as a matter of fact, I got one of the bikes slated for the dealer and was driving one of the first ďyellow Spyderís in Virginia. Anyhow Ė Iíve been watching the RTS for some time now and decided to sell my trusty Goldwing CSC trike and add the Spyder RTS to my fleet for some serious cruising. I ordered the bike last week and this morning I went to pick her up and bring her home.
Everything was hunky dory (how ever you spell it) until I took my first ride. In just seconds, I could feel a serious problem with the steering to the point it actually felt the bike was almost out of control. After analyzing the problem it was quickly determined that the power steering module for the RTS had some serious problems. While most power steering modules reduce steering ability the faster you go to reduce over-steer, the re-designed module on the RTS model continues to be over sensitive regardless of speed. Any slight movement of the handlebars, dip in the road, gust of wind, or any movement of the rider or passenger causes the bike to swerve to either the right or left.

After a few trips back to the dealer trying different air pressures and increasing the shock settings, it was perfectly clear that Spyder RTS is not road worthy, and in fact unsafe. On one of my many test rides, Rt 460 where the speed limit is 65, it was almost impossible to hold the bike in a lane without constant corrections. On one occasion, as a semi passed me, I locked my arms to prevent the bars from moving and the turbulence caused the bike to almost uncontrollably swerve back and forth and at times right in the other lane.

As another test, I drove a new standard RT model, and it handled just as good as my old Spyder. Anyhow, after reading post all over the Internet, itís clear Iím not the only one with this problem . My quick research shows that the standard RT model uses the old type steering module while the RTS with itís new front end and uses a new steering module hence the problem.

The long and short of it - BRP should be ashamed of themselves for releasing the bike in this condition. You canít tell me that no one knew of this problem because a company with so much technology has to know what there is a problem. While Iím concerned with my bike getting fixed, Iím more concerned with someone getting injured or worse killed as a result of this problem. As of now, my new bike sits at the dealer and no one really knows anything, not even the factory on how to fix the damn thing.

My old Goldwing starting to look real good to me again . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2010, 05:10 AM

Wow! can you un-engineer the setup and get an original module to work with the rest of the RTS setup? (Or would that open up an even bigger can of worms?)
Old 07-27-2010, 05:13 AM

From what I understand the RT and RTS models have a whole new front end, wider track, and softer suspension and DPS system.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:22 AM

And here I was thinking that it was going to be just too easy... I've got the A&C model and to my untrained arms it seems too track okay; but it's just a little sensitive to buffeting and overtaking trucks...
Old 07-27-2010, 08:56 AM

That's exactly what I'm talking about - they come up with a touring bike (Hello for traveling) and you can't use it to pass a truck - is there anybody at the factory that even drives these damn things???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
And here I was thinking that it was going to be just too easy... I've got the A&C model and to my untrained arms it seems too track okay; but it's just a little sensitive to buffeting and overtaking trucks...
Old 07-28-2010, 04:47 AM

If you were new to these critters, I'd probably be suggesting that it might be a case of getting used to something that's just a bit different... that's not the case here though! I know that with mine I've just got to be aware of what traffic is doing so that any buffeting doesn't come as a complete surpriese. I wouldn't characterize it as unsafe though... Push your dealer to make some calls directly to BRP to see if they've got anything to say about what you're feeling. Good luck with it and please let us know what you find.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:32 AM

I can't be sure but yours sounds like it ain't right - my standard Spyder is totally un-affected by trucks, crosswinds, etc. It's just like riding any bike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
If you were new to these critters, I'd probably be suggesting that it might be a case of getting used to something that's just a bit different... that's not the case here though! I know that with mine I've just got to be aware of what traffic is doing so that any buffeting doesn't come as a complete surpriese. I wouldn't characterize it as unsafe though... Push your dealer to make some calls directly to BRP to see if they've got anything to say about what you're feeling. Good luck with it and please let us know what you find.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:42 AM

Actually I'm not so sure that any twitchiness isn't being caused by the loose nut behind the bars... In my case of course!
Old 07-30-2010, 12:20 PM

Default fast lane

u guys are scaring me i have 08 spyder 2600 miles on it i raise the bars 4 inches a 2 bros muffler which is too loud sounds good tho the steering was hard to get used to i stiffend the shocks all the way sway bar is next use 17 pounds air it has to be stiff to handle good.i rode the big touring model iot scare the hell outof me too much learn in turns and on the straight it darted side to side too soft back to beeing scared i read all the problems u are having my 08 seems to have none yet!!! think it wont corner my sport bike friends sure wake up when i pass them coming out to the turns on the out side do u want to cruise or ride ??? ps i am 78 years old and too old to hold my 750 honda up at stops. can am seems to have a lot of problems better choose a good dealer or be lucky like me. go ahead and buy the thing and have fun be fore its too late.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:44 AM

Okay... Now you've made me so curious about this that I'm gonna bump the preload up on the front shocks and see what happens...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement