Do you need a motorcycle license to drive the Can-am in california?? - Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community

» Sponsors
» Today's Birthdays
None
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2009, 10:33 AM

Default Do you need a motorcycle license to drive the Can-am in california??

Today i had my bike parked in a parking lot and a police officer came to me and asked for my registration and license plate (since its new i didn't have it) and then he asked to see my motorcycle license and i dont have one and he said i need one to operate it since its under 800lbs and has three wheels and he threatened to impound it but then hes like have someone pick it up so idid. but everyone is telling me i dont need a motorcycle license. Do i need one? He gave me two tickets one for not having a having registration and one for not a having a license plate....
later that day I was driving it a little aggressively and the check engine light came up i think it over heated so i waited 45mins and it turned off but then after 15mins of driving very slow and easy it went back on. do u think if i wait like 4 hours it would be fine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2009, 05:40 AM

Currently it depends on the state, the law varies some. However, that being said, it appears that you reside on the left coast. The other Ca. owners can tell for certain, but I would be willing to bet that you need one there. In Illinois, where I reside, you do. I have had a bike license from the time they first instituted that provision in the law( late 60s/early 70s) and have always retained for my job...a neccesity.
The officer could be incorrect, but since they have to go in and defend it if you contest the ticket ( at least here they do), I don't think he would strick you with one that he couldn't enforce. Now on the registration, once again local laws apply, but in Illinois you have 2-3 days to get it registered. If it was longer than that, regardless of whether it is new or not, you would be out of luck here.

Last edited by woodz428; 12-20-2009 at 09:07 AM.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingshawn1234 View Post
Today i had my bike parked in a parking lot and a police officer came to me and asked for my registration and license plate (since its new i didn't have it) and then he asked to see my motorcycle license and i dont have one and he said i need one to operate it since its under 800lbs and has three wheels and he threatened to impound it but then hes like have someone pick it up so idid. but everyone is telling me i dont need a motorcycle license. Do i need one? He gave me two tickets one for not having a having registration and one for not a having a license plate....
later that day I was driving it a little aggressively and the check engine light came up i think it over heated so i waited 45mins and it turned off but then after 15mins of driving very slow and easy it went back on. do u think if i wait like 4 hours it would be fine?
WV has a separate 3-wheeler license good for Spyder and conventional trikes.

The cop was wrong!! According to DMV, you do NOT need as license for trikes in CA. Direct from the California DMV handbook.
NOTE: Class C licensees may operate a motorcycle with a side car attached or a three-wheel motorcycle. A Class C license is the standard drivers license. Just ask the Governator...he got into an accident while driving his side car-equiiped motorcycle without a license.

Spyder Nation POW*MIA SE5

Cal-Sci 23.5 windshield, HID Fog lights, HID Headlights, Micron muffler, Triple Play II Taillight Kit, 5" Pullback bars, Footpeg kit, Center Console, Cup Holder, Mirror Extensions, Phantom Black Kit, 6 Spoke Wheels, Side Panel Trim, Corbin Saddle Bags and Saddle Seat, Cruise Control, Jensen JHD910 stereo, Zumo 660 GPS

Last edited by irish2themax; 12-20-2009 at 07:07 AM.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2themax View Post
The cop was wrong!! According to DMV, you do NOT need as license for trikes in CA. Direct from the California DMV handbook.
NOTE: Class C licensees may operate a motorcycle with a side car attached or a three-wheel motorcycle. A Class C license is the standard drivers license. Just ask the Governator...he got into an accident while driving his side car-equiiped motorcycle without a license.
Very interesting, with every other regulation they have to raise revenues( apparently not enough) I am astonished that they don't have a motorcycle specific classification. Here the only 2 wheeler you can operate without a bike classification is a moped or a scooter less than 50cc( note how many small scooters are 49cc).
Old 12-20-2009, 09:18 AM

I never take any posts I read on the internet to be "fact" without some checking. That is the case with the Ca. driver's license question. According to V.C. Section 12804.9 - Examination and Driving Test: Classifications, a class C license in Ca is a 2 wheel license, so yes if you have a class C license you can operate the Spyder...because it IS a motorcycle license, not a general Driver's license as was implied. I think the officer was correct and the Va. post is wrong, at least according to the Ca. DMV website. But what do I know??
So anyone with internet access to post the original question could have googled the DMV and gotten the exact answer he needed instead of a bunch of speculation from afar.

Last edited by woodz428; 12-20-2009 at 10:41 AM.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodz428 View Post
I never take any posts I read on the internet to be "fact" without some checking. That is the case with the Ca. driver's license question. According to V.C. Section 12804.9 - Examination and Driving Test: Classifications, a class C license in Ca is a 2 wheel license, so yes if you have a class C license you can operate the Spyder...because it IS a motorcycle license, not a general Driver's license as was implied. I think the officer was correct and the Va. post is wrong, at least according to the Ca. DMV website. But what do I know??
So anyone with internet access to post the original question could have googled the DMV and gotten the exact answer he needed instead of a bunch of speculation from afar.
Good post Woodz428!

Very interesting, I read it slightly differently (but same conclusion as you), as I read it (not a lawyer, but do deal in lots of legal issues), it appears you do not need a motorcycle "endorsement" to drive a Spyder in CA. It looks like under subsection 3-D the Spyder is part of the "standard Class C license", AND motorcycles specifically excluded from the class C license by subsection 3E.

Motorcycle classification/endorsement is in addition the "C" class, called "M1" and is very clearly only for two-wheeled cycles in Section IV, again, I'm no lawyer, but to me, bringing the section and ticket to the police station, a the second ticket should get tossed. I know in AR, you have 30 days to register a new vehicle, as long as you are carrying the signed and dated Bill of Sale, the officers will not ticket for that here.

(3) Class C includes the following:

(A) A two-axle vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,000 pounds or less, including when the vehicle is towing a trailer or semitrailer with a gross vehicle weight rating of 10,000 pounds or less.

(B) Notwithstanding subparagraph (A), a two-axle vehicle weighing 4,000 pounds or more unladen when towing a trailer coach not exceeding 9,000 pounds gross.

(C) A house car of 40 feet in length or less.

(D) A three-axle vehicle weighing 6,000 pounds gross or less.

(E) A house car of 40 feet in length or less or vehicle towing another vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 10,000 pounds or less, including when a tow dolly is used. A person driving a vehicle may not tow another vehicle in violation of Section 21715.

(F) (i) A two-axle vehicle weighing 4,000 pounds or more unladen when towing either a trailer coach or a fifth-wheel travel trailer not exceeding 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight rating, when the towing of the trailer is not for compensation.

(ii) A two-axle vehicle weighing 4,000 pounds or more unladen when towing a fifth-wheel travel trailer exceeding 10,000 pounds, but not exceeding 15,000 pounds, gross vehicle weight rating, when the towing of the trailer is not for compensation, and if the person has passed a specialized written examination provided by the department relating to the knowledge of this code and other safety aspects governing the towing of recreational vehicles upon the highway.

The authority to operate combinations of vehicles under this subparagraph may be granted by endorsement on a class C license upon completion of that written examination.

(G) A vehicle or combination of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating or a gross vehicle weight rating, as those terms are defined in subdivisions (j) and (k), respectively, of Section 15210, of 26,000 pounds or less, if all of the following conditions are met:

(i) Is operated by a farmer, an employee of a farmer, or an instructor credentialed in agriculture as part of an instructional program in agriculture at the high school, community college, or university level.

(ii) Is used exclusively in the conduct of agricultural operations.\ (iii) Is not used in the capacity of a for-hire carrier or for compensation.

(H) A motorized scooter.

(I) Class C does not include a two-wheel motorcycle or a two-wheel motor-driven cycle.

(4) Class M1. A two-wheel motorcycle or a motor-driven cycle. Authority to operate a vehicle included in a class M1 license may be granted by endorsement on a class A, B, or C license upon completion of an appropriate examination.

(5) (A) Class M2 includes the following:

(i) A motorized bicycle or moped, or a bicycle with an attached motor, except a motorized bicycle described in subdivision (b) of Section 406.

(ii) A motorized scooter.

Last edited by Spyderman; 12-20-2009 at 12:11 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:23 PM

I actually went back and reread it, really, all the suffix letters in caps and lower case were a little confusing..to say the least. I see where a sidecar could fit into the 3 axle category, but a spyder is 2 axles. Just like a car, but so is a motorcycle.But I think you'll find that the exposed rider status will push it out of that category. I would wade into it pretty humbly, because it doesn't look like it's on his side. It's the class M1 license that really applies, but again, I don't live in Ca. Since they are the largest bike buying state( I know from working dealerships for decades), I doubt that they would pass on the extra revenue that generates. I think the technical line is drawn with the 3 axle clause. 3 wheels does not mean 3 axles, it can, but it is not inclusive. Just as 4 wheels doesn't mean 4 axles, I think he is going to have to pay the fine. Age seems to also play into it, since there was no age posted...it may be that he is too young to even get a M1 license without a rider training program.
In all honesty,it shocks me that the elected representatives could pass this and think it was easily understood by those that have to abide by it. Unfortunately that's not just a Ca. problem.

Last edited by woodz428; 12-20-2009 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:00 PM

Talking

Quote:
I actually went back and reread it, really, all the suffix letters in caps and lower case were a little confusing..to say the least. I see where a sidecar could fit into the 3 axle category, but a spyder is 2 axles. Just like a car, but so is a motorcycle.But I think you'll find that the exposed rider status will push it out of that category. I would wade into it pretty humbly, because it doesn't look like it's on his side. It's the class M1 license that really applies, but again, I don't live in Ca. Since they are the largest bike buying state( I know from working dealerships for decades), I doubt that they would pass on the extra revenue that generates. I think the technical line is drawn with the 3 axle clause. 3 wheels does not mean 3 axles, it can, but it is not inclusive. Just as 4 wheels doesn't mean 4 axles, I think he is going to have to pay the fine. Age seems to also play into it, since there was no age posted...it may be that he is too young to even get a M1 license without a rider training program.
In all honesty,it shocks me that the elected representatives could pass this and think it was easily understood by those that have to abide by it. Unfortunately that's not just a Ca. problem.
I'd say it is a good thing to ask, but I'd sure be wiling to as a Mechanical Engineer testify in court the Spyder is a three axle vehicle , so it is covered under the base class. The service manual has plenty of documentation to verify this and the Spyder patent would certainly back up the intent.

What is really funny, is cars have not been two axel's for years

(D) A three-axle vehicle weighing 6,000 pounds gross or less.

The real question is what is meant by "three axles"?

They may actually mean "pairs of wheels" when they say axle's.... but that is not what the words say. he-he
Old 12-20-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Sorry but you're the one who is wrong! Now that you've "blasted" me for failing to do my research, I refer you to Motorcycle Handbook- License Requirements on The California DMV website

NOTE: Class C licensees may operate a motorcycle with a side car attached or a three-wheel motorcycle.

You too could have Googled the answer. All you had to do was search on my NOTE...Be sure you're right before casting stones

Spyder Nation POW*MIA SE5

Cal-Sci 23.5 windshield, HID Fog lights, HID Headlights, Micron muffler, Triple Play II Taillight Kit, 5" Pullback bars, Footpeg kit, Center Console, Cup Holder, Mirror Extensions, Phantom Black Kit, 6 Spoke Wheels, Side Panel Trim, Corbin Saddle Bags and Saddle Seat, Cruise Control, Jensen JHD910 stereo, Zumo 660 GPS

Last edited by irish2themax; 12-20-2009 at 04:44 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2themax View Post
Sorry but you're the one who is wrong! Now that you've "blasted" me for failing to do my research, I refer you to Motorcycle Handbook- License Requirements on The California DMV website

NOTE: Class C licensees may operate a motorcycle with a side car attached or a three-wheel motorcycle.

You too could have Googled the answer. All you had to do was search on my NOTE...Be sure you're right before casting stones
My,my aren't we a little touchy. If that is blasting, you are too soft skinned to be on that thing. I referenced the Ca. DMV. I'm sorry if their information was not adequate. I personally could care less,I choose not to live in Ca. for many reasons. I lived their for 13 years and that was plenty. With as snarled as their regulations are, I would be hesitant to give as BOLD advice from afar as you seem to feel comfortable doing. I believe if you re-read my post I mentioned "local laws" more than once. But since Va. and Ca. have the same laws, you are most likely correct...I mean you talk to god...you have to be as correct as Oral Roberts. That isn't blasting, I can assure you, because I know what it is.
If you frequented some of the forums I am on regularly, all of them vehicle sites, you will find that the clear thing about Ca. regs are they are not clear and seem to be changed on a whim...depending from where the dollars come .
My strongest comment had to do with anyone from any state taking legal advice regarding regulations from anyone from another state, unless they happen to practice that type of law,in THAT state. You did not indicate that you were so engaged, so even more reason to check with the LOCAL authorities...not someone from La.,Pa. or yes Virginia,Va.
If you aren't going to pay the piper, you shouldn't give advice that could cost someone else,especially with such an authoritarian tone.
I look forward to your legal advice in my state.

Last edited by woodz428; 12-20-2009 at 08:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement