Reliability - Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Question Reliability

First let me say that I'm not currently a Spyder owner. However i did put some wheels on a Skidoo back in 1969 and ran it around. So i guess that was a very early Spyder. .

I joined the forum to look/read/and better undstand about Spyders in general and get a feel of what other think of the machine. Im thinking of looking into a new one but have been kinda of wondering about several items i see reoccurring in the forum.

1. the factory warranty seems to be so-so, and extended warranty if not worth the paper its written on.
2. alignment must be spot on and not all dealers have the ability to perform the proper alignment or have the training.
3. Back and forth to the dealer after problems were "fixed".
4. How comfortable would you be running for 2-3 weeks at a time across the USA or several states? Meaning do you feel your machine is bullet proof.
5. Electronic seem to be flacky, leaving the rider either in limp mode or totally dead somewhere.

OK, i understand there machines and they break down, So have i been reading the 1% failures and thinking this is the norm or is in fact the Spyder a quality machine and mechanically reliable.

Im interesting your thoughts.

Mantaray23
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 02:18 PM

Overall, the Spyders are very reliable machines, perhaps as much as any motorcycle on the road. On a forum you're going to mostly hear about the issues and problems, so take it with a grain of salt.

I've never had my front end aligned, although many will take you that the magic laser alignment will make you better looking and richer. It may, but I think most dealers can perform an adequate alignment. I'm not discounting the benefits many have stated, perhaps their bike came with an issue. If I get the chance I may get mine done sometime, but so far it seems to track straight and the tires are wearing evenly.

There have been some issues that occur with certain model years. I have a 2014 and I got stranded with a "DESS" error (electronic key issue). Other than that, I've had a completely reliable 20k miles. I believe some have complained that 2013 was not a good year for Can-Am, but I don't recall details.

On this and other forums, people have talked about completing their cross-country trips on their Spyders, sometimes hauling a trailer, all without incident. When I get the chance I'm planning on doing just that. I'm not overly concerned about any reliability issues.

However, I would make sure I had a good list of Spyder dealers in the areas I would pass through ahead of time, and letting people on the forum know your travel plans may also provide you some help if you were to get stuck down somewhere. Spyder owners seem to be really friendly with other ryders.

Dale Scruggs, reformed two-wheeler
Birmingham, AL
White 2014 RT Limited
NBV LAMonster Highway Pegs
Ultimate Seats tallboy with backrest
Kuryakyn Goldwing clamshell grips
Big Bike Parts Tricycle TPMS
WOLO Bad Boy horn
Scala Rider G9
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 10:52 PM

The 2013 RT had excessive heat and fire issues.

You rarely, if ever, hear of folks on Japanese machines being stranded but it's a far to common occurrence with Spyders for me to be tempted to get a new one. I bought my Spyder new in 2009 and won't upgrade due to the reliability issues many of the later models have.

Spyders are not know for reliability but for satisfying a niche market. Folks love em until they break down. Some owners just shrug their shoulders tolerate the dealer repeat visits and/or trade it for another one, some rue the day they bought it, others fear to ride far from home.

From the bike forums I follow fairly closely, Spyders are the most troublesome. Mind you BMW ain't all they're cracked up to be either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 07:25 PM
Super Moderators

I have an'11 RT Ltd

for the first couple of years I had a few small issues, but nothing major and absolutely loved the bike and would talk about them for hours on end

the last 18 months have been a series of major issues, which for some stupid reason no one can find a way to fix them

my wife and I have always been huge fans of the bike, but as my extended warranty ending is fast approaching we wish we could afford to buy another bike and it would NOT be a Spyder.

we have lost total confidence in the bike, the dealers are doing their best but it's so darn hard to find anything good to say about the bike these days.

our friends keep saying to trade it in and get another bike of some sort, but we can't afford what another brand of trike ( I am not licensed to ride a 2 wheeler )would cost even if we could get a reasonable price for ours

I know with the newer models a lot of previous issues have been addressed and they are supposed to be better, but would still not get another.

other people we know have never had very many major issues and others seem to have nothing but problems.

I would suggest to anyone who is thinking about getting one to do 3 things before they make a decision and they are:

1> do your homework

2> do your home again

3> do your home work a third time

if you have done this then you "should" know about the pros/cons of the bike and should know whether or not you are willing to deal with the issues

2011 RT Ltd, ISCI floorboards/cruiser boards and LED nut with custom Halo kit and custom Fusion power plant, 50 SPF sunblock and cheap sunglass, total Grfx on bike and matching trailer
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

info

Thanks for the info and it looks like I'm going to do as Paladin advised and do some more home work. Since I'm not in any hurry i will continue to read/ask questions and ask other Spyder riders i see what they would do again if they could.

Maybe by the time i decide to purchase "something" the Spyder will have updated there current problems. I really like the looks of the machine but i don't purchase on looks alone. Being a old computer guy i look, read, test and select the best products.

Thanks again for your thoughts.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 08:55 AM
Super Moderators

I think if everyone did their homework and not just jump into a cool looking machine, then there would not as many issues because BRP would have to address the issues faster than they do now

I have heard the new ones are better, but still hear of major issues.

good reading

2011 RT Ltd, ISCI floorboards/cruiser boards and LED nut with custom Halo kit and custom Fusion power plant, 50 SPF sunblock and cheap sunglass, total Grfx on bike and matching trailer
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 02:45 PM

I have the new 1330cc 2014 RT module and this still has issues. I too loosing trust in this machine.
I have 4500KM on the clock and it has been in the shop 3 times. Just got it back just the other day as I had high vibration at the foot begs, found that the belt was rubbing.
So even the new machines are has their moments.
Still love it as it has some great traveling power with the 1330.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 01:48 PM

2015 rt limited vibration problem

I get a vibration in the foot floorboards starting about 70MPH and it get really bad at78-80. I only have 100 miles on the spider
Is this normal?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 08:52 AM

I had no problems with my RS and aside from my parking brake refusing to turn off, I've had no problems with my RT.
I got the brake to turn off by shutting down and removing the key for about 30 seconds.

While doing my research, I read of a lot of problems (on this forum) with 2013 models, so I've stayed away from that year.

Bad knees was my reason for the original purchase, and I'm very happy with the result.

2012 RT SM5 Stay calm and Y on!
2012 RS SM5 Alas, I shall miss her!
2008 Yamaha VMax 1100
1991 Honda Shadow
1983 Vespa…Hey, it was just a commuter!
1976 Hodaka Combat Wombat

Last edited by LibertyGuyAZ; 03-26-2016 at 08:56 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantaray23 View Post
First let me say that I'm not currently a Spyder owner. However i did put some wheels on a Skidoo back in 1969 and ran it around. So i guess that was a very early Spyder. .

I joined the forum to look/read/and better undstand about Spyders in general and get a feel of what other think of the machine. Im thinking of looking into a new one but have been kinda of wondering about several items i see reoccurring in the forum.

1. the factory warranty seems to be so-so, and extended warranty if not worth the paper its written on.
2. alignment must be spot on and not all dealers have the ability to perform the proper alignment or have the training.
3. Back and forth to the dealer after problems were "fixed".
4. How comfortable would you be running for 2-3 weeks at a time across the USA or several states? Meaning do you feel your machine is bullet proof.
5. Electronic seem to be flacky, leaving the rider either in limp mode or totally dead somewhere.

OK, i understand there machines and they break down, So have i been reading the 1% failures and thinking this is the norm or is in fact the Spyder a quality machine and mechanically reliable.

Im interesting your thoughts.

Mantaray23
this is what has gone wrong with the 2104 RT Limited spyder that i bought... i am now going to a Harley Trike...
Thursday, May 11, 2017

TO: BRP
RE: 2014 RT Limited Spyder Issues
Dear Sir / Madam,
My name is Dimitrios Papadimitriou ( Jim Papas ) and I am a Financial controller for 60 companies in Brisbane… plus I am on the committee for Restaurant Catering Queensland Council. I am writing this letter to inform you that I am upset and angry that both myself and my daughter where seconds away from dying due to a major faulty part on my motor cycle.
Currently my business deals with the following:
1. 1000 Plus employees
2. Over 10,000 suppliers across 25 industries
3. Greek Church Treasurer for approx. 10 years
You can image the impact it would have if I provided this level of service to my clients and the people that my business deals with…
I will outline the history of when I purchased my first RT Limited Spyder and why I changed it just after 12 months of riding it and what I lost in the changeover to the next model. I expect that we can come to an acceptable solution to this problem as soon as possible. At this point I believe my concerns have not been taken seriously by BRP… the dealer for the bike has been more than helpful all the way along and has also provided me a loan bike at no change while my bike was in the shop for an extended period of time being tested and fixed time and time again…
Major Issue one with the RT Limited 2013 Model purchased June 2013.
1. Aerial Broke off – Replaced no charge
2. 16/10/2014 LH Side Pannier Cover Broken hinge – Replaced no charge
3. Heat shielding added to prevent the bike from blowing up – Manufacturer recall – Fixed no charge.
4. Heat Issue on right hand side of bike… the air was so hot on the right hand side of the bike and blow directly onto my right leg… it was so hot that you could almost cook and egg on my leg from the heat, so I had no choice but to upgrade the bike to the 2014 model and it looked like you had correct the heat issues. In the process of doing this I lost $15,000 plus in the changeover after just one year… I wasn’t happy about that but I was willing to wear the cost as I love riding the RT Limited Spyder almost as much as I love my wife…
Major Issue Two with the RT Limited 2014 Model purchased June 2014
1. 16/10/2014 Aerial Broke off – Replaced no charge
2. 11/3/2015 Hand brake not holding had to carry block of wood with me to ensure bike didn’t roll away from where I parked it each time – Replaced no charge
3. 21/04/2015 Front end was hitting on ground constantly and unstable around corners so I had a sway bar and adjustable front end suspension fitted to fix this issue… not warranty related but I needed the bike to be more stable on the road due to me driving it every day.
4. 11/01/2016 Replaced LH Side Headlight Bulb – Paid by me
5. 15/02/2016 Replaced RH Side Headlight Bulb – Paid by me
6. 11/04/2016 Both Front Discs and Break Pads completely shot and had to be replaced Bold also fell out of instrument panel and had to be replaced – Paid by Me
7. 13/12/2016 Seat split apart on front near fuel tank and LH Hand grip broken – both replaced no charge
8. 13/12/2016 Both headlight covers cloudy – Replaced no charge
9. 20/12/2016 Front end is bouncing on road and gets worse as speed increases – Issue Still unresolved
10. Also found out that the compressor that automatically adjusts the Air suspension was also failed – Still unresolved
11. Hatch on back of bike was very week during the 12 months under warranty but stayed up most of them time… however as time progressed it is now at the point where I need a piece of wood to hold the door open so I can put items in the back without the door closing on my hand to avoid injury – Still unresolved.
12. 21/01/2017 Rear wheel locking up. This had happened once of twice about 12 months ago but I didn’t think much of it at the time as it didn’t happen again until now. It happened once when I was breaking at a set of lights and once around a corner in the wet… I was very luck that I was in front of the traffic and was able to get away first. If I was in the traffic when the back wheel locked up… 100% my daughter and I would have been injured or killed in the accident. I had taken off as normal from the lights and as I accelerated the back wheel locked up and span the bike 180% into oncoming traffic. I was fare enough away for the oncoming vehicles to see my and they where able to stop just in time without hitting us or each other but it was very close to me a major accident with multiple vehicles. If this accident had occurred with injury or damage you would communicating with my lawyers right now… it hasn’t gotten to that point yet…
13. Since the first time the bike started locking up the back wheel has locked up 30 times in 30 corners…to the point where the bike shop wouldn’t let me ride the bike because it was unsafe to be on the road. – Paid by me
It has now gotten to the point that I am unwilling to put my children on the back of my bike due to the fear that I might kill them. I personally don’t feel safe on this bike any longer. There are still unresolved issues at this point that I am no longer will to spend more money on just to wait for the next major issue to happen… when you spend $41,000 on a new top of the range bike to have to change it because it’s burning your leg to the point you have to wear fire proof clothing is an issue and then loose over $15,000 to upgrade to the new model to fix one issue to only find the problems have multiplied 10 fold and are still ongoing is unacceptable. Worst of all you company is not taking these issues seriously… which has upset me more than anything.
How are you going to resolve this issues before it becomes a legal matter… I have already contacted my lawyers and done a affidavit that in the event of my death on the RT Limited Spyder, that they conduct a full investigation in to the cause of death… I have also provided them the entire history and a copy of this letter incase this matter needs to progress to legal representation. I hope it doesn’t have to go that fare but time will tell.
I really do love riding my RT Limited but don’t feel safe on this bike… I do believe the problems are specific to my bike only at this point…
1. Replace my bike with the current model at no charge
2. Full refund and I will purchase a bike from another manufacture
I can understand a few issues as nothing is perfect but this is now beyond a joke and there are still more pending issues that are unresolved and I believe more problems to come
I don’t expect you to accept blame for these issues but I do expect the problem to be resolved. My lawyers have already provided me with a quote for the fee structures to proceed… I have been more than patient till now but that has run out now…
Kind Regards,
Dimitrios Papadimitriou
Registered BAS Agent
jim.osborn.334 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode