DPS Recall - Delay for Replacement - Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community

» Sponsors
» Today's Birthdays
None
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2011, 01:58 PM

Unhappy DPS Recall - Delay for Replacement

I've been without my Spyder since October. I've been awaiting a replacement DPS module as part of the recall. My local dealer finally got in a DPS unit, but it was for an RT model. I have a 2008 RS model.

I'm very frustrated. My local dealer is frustrated with the delay, too. Is there a number for Can-Am that I can call to get a human to speed up this process for me?!

Unhappy in Durham, NC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrehy View Post
I've been without my Spyder since October. I've been awaiting a replacement DPS module as part of the recall. My local dealer finally got in a DPS unit, but it was for an RT model. I have a 2008 RS model.

I'm very frustrated. My local dealer is frustrated with the delay, too. Is there a number for Can-Am that I can call to get a human to speed up this process for me?!

Unhappy in Durham, NC
I purchased my 2009 RS (used) back in November from a dealer in Findlay, OH. When I went to pick it up they told me after all the paperwork had been completed and I had paid them that there would be a 2 hour wait because they had to do a steering recall. As it turned out it was the DPS unit replacement. In less than 2 hours I was on the road back to Tennessee. Guess they had the parts on hand. I double checked with the local dealer here and he verified via my VIN that all recalls had been completed and that I was good to go.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:25 AM

Still looking for a number to call.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:46 AM

There is a number in the owners manual that I called when I was in the same situation that you are in, however I got very little out of Can Am. Where are you in line as far as the dealer is concerned? For a while the dealer kept telling me that I was next in line but I thought that maybe they were fudging that a bit. I kept after the dealer and they finally got mine changed. I will say this it was worth the wait!

Good luck!

Mike
Old 01-19-2011, 12:52 PM

I think you mite have a wait on the dps unit because they are still building snow mobiles
Old 01-19-2011, 01:27 PM

I was first in line, until they delivered a DPS unit that was purportedly only for an RT model. I've been hounding the dealer, who has now agreed in frustration that if I can accomplish anything with Can-Am, I should try.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corybud View Post
There is a number in the owners manual that I called when I was in the same situation that you are in, however I got very little out of Can Am. Where are you in line as far as the dealer is concerned? For a while the dealer kept telling me that I was next in line but I thought that maybe they were fudging that a bit. I kept after the dealer and they finally got mine changed. I will say this it was worth the wait!

Good luck!

Mike
You state it was worth the wait. I haven't ridden a Spyder without the DPS fix so I have nothing to compare with but mine is a handfull on the twisty's and mine has had the fix. Is it just me or was the steering really, really bad before the fix?
Old 01-19-2011, 02:46 PM

Mine is a 2010 so probably had the "fix" but don't know for sure. I do know that when they replaced the dps with the new unit my spyder feels smother and more stable in the corners. I am able to push harder into and hold a better line than before. Also to me just driving in a straight line it doesn't feel darty like it tended to before. Overall I am very satisfied with the new unit.

My Wife also noticed the difference........She tells me to slow down.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:22 AM

I've got a 2010 RT... Before the DPS was replaced I often found myuself making lots of course-corrections while turning. It was as if I just couldn't find the right line thourgh any turn... After I got the new DPS I found that my lines through the tiwisties were much smoother. It turns out that I wasn't such a lousy rider after all!
You'll be happy with the results!
Old 01-25-2011, 08:49 AM

Default Dps

I had to wait over 6 weeks for my DPS unit to get replaced. It is my understanding that BRP sends the dealers a certain number of replacement units based on the number that the dealer has sold. Once the original shipment has been changed out, they have to send in an old unit to get another replacement, this is where the majority of the holdup comes from. I missed out on almost two months of riding. I have driven it when the weather has warmed up enough and there is a noticable change in the steering. Much smoother operation. Mid winter here now in Arkansas and waiting for Spring..then hopefully another good year of riding. Keep the Faith.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement